Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Plants That Survived

Over the holidays, I was inspired to take a cue from nature and decorate with plants.  You saw two of them in my Christmas posts.  One of them being paper whites from my mantel o’natural…not a survivor.  And the other, the Norfolk Pine, a surprising survivor.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been hesitant to add plants to my home knowing that I’m not a very good plant mom.  Plants in my home need to be able to survive on virtually no care at all.  If you’ve had the same worries, these are a few that might work for you.  {disclaimer: I am by no means a plant expert at all, but if they didn’t die on my watch, it’s a winner!}

Out of all the plants I picked up, the Air Plants are my absolute favorite!  LOVE at first sight.  Often times, you will find them floating in little glass orbs or in terrariums.  These guys don’t even need soil and require very little water, just a bit of misting every now and then. 

IMG_5267

IMG_5268

My method of misting is a bit unorthodox, but it seems to be working.  These little guys live in my bathroom.  So after washing my hands, I just do a little flick of my fingers to “mist” them.  Aren’t they the sweetest little things?  Gets me all giddy inside.

Next up, the Jade Plant.  I’ve wanted one for years now.  I might have watered it two or three times in the last month.  That’s it – definite survivor.

IMG_5270

The Christmas Cactus. I’ve been eyeing these for a couple years too.  They come in a variety of colors from white to fuschia.  Mine’s not flowering right now.  Not sure if that’s due to the season or my lack of care. Smile

IMG_5274

As I mentioned above, the Norfolk Pine survived.  These can actually grow fairly big.  I’m sure you’ve seen them all over the place, from grocery stores to Home Depot.  I even spotted them throughout Anthropologie during the holidays.  I really love this plant more than I expected. 

IMG_5024

Besides the paper whites, the Frosty Fern wasn’t a survivor either, but worth mentioning.  It’s unique look caught my eye while grocery shopping.  I may grab another one and give it another go because I liked it so much. 

The plants really have added an element that I didn’t realize was missing in my home.  I love the added life and texture.  If you’re looking to add some plants into your world, you might want to give one of these guys a try.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! From the title to the plant recommendations, to your unique misting technique! lol! Thanks for sharing!

    Alice.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...