Saturday, October 6, 2012

{FOCUS FRENZY} Day 6: Should it make the cut?

After I did my post on creating goals, it occurred to me that I should also ask myself a question.  Should this even be on my goal list to begin with?  Should it make the cut?

It’s so easy to get wrapped up in pretty pictures on pinterest and dare I say my favorite stomping grounds…blogs.

I have to ask myself, am I really going to do this?

Do I really want this?  Or do I just think I want this because I’ve seen it over and over?

Is it important to our life as a family?  Will it make our home more us? more comfortable? more enjoyable? more functional?

Will it add value to our life?

Is it worth my time and effort?

For you, my garage door project may be something that is not worth your time.  But for me, it was worth adding the personality of our family to our home.  It’s worth it because it makes us smile and it says to us, “this is your special place.”  I use this as an example because I don’t think our goals need to be all serious and only functional.  It can simply be something that will add some sort of value even in the smallest way.  Something that just makes you happy.

I think once we ask ourselves some of these questions, our lists and our goals will become a bit more fine tuned.  It reminds me of a trip to the outlet stores with my husband a while back.  We went into this store all jazzed up by the eye candy surrounding us.  Wanted to grab everything because we were at an outlet after all.  It’s got to be a good deal and we should grab it if it’s a good deal.  Then, we looked at each other and said, “we’ve got to get out of here.”

So we left for lunch and went back to that same store to find that there was nothing there we really wanted or needed to take back with us.  Sometimes we need to take a step back and reevaluate.  Get excited about an idea.  Walk away for a bit.  Come back and decide, does this make the cut?

FOCUS:  Keep your goals realistic.  Ask yourself if it’s worthy to make the cut?

clip_image001

Check out the rest of this series here.

Want to follow along, check the sidebar for your favorite way to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...