Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mad Scientist Party

Before I close out this birthday series with Erin’s Mystery Party, I have to share the Mad Scientist Party my sis-in-law threw for her son.  She knows I kind of have a sickness, an obsession of sorts, when it comes to kids’ birthday parties. So she asked me to poke around for mad scientist ideas.  I was more than happy to oblige!

She booked a group to come in to do all the fun science experiments, so all she really needed were a few of the finishing touches.  I created a Mad Scientist pinboard on Pinterest and pinned away.  My main focus was on food presentation and décor to make it extra special.  Here’s what she ended up doing…

To gain access into “Will’s Science Lab”, the kids placed their hands on the handprint as fingerprint identification to open the door.  Adorable, right?!

clip_image002[20]

clip_image00216

She made lab coats out of men’s t-shirts simply by cutting up the middle and using double-face tape for the collars.  Each lab coat had a silly scientist name tag and a bio-hazard badge too.  I love that she gave Will some mad scientist hair to go along with it!  Isn’t he too cute?!

clip_image002[6]

Look out for these cuties in the Olympic swim category, not kidding.  Rock star swimmers.  Oops, got sidetracked.  Back to the party…

clip_image002[8]

The cake was adorable with green slime letters and beakers.  I’m always in awe that she makes the cake herself every year!  Every year I say I’m going to make the cake, but then when it comes down to crunch time, my sister or Kroger save the day.

clip_image002

To add to the fun, she attached creative names to the food containers and used measuring cups and funnels as table décor and containers.  I’m loving this insect juice!

clip_image002[4]

clip_image002[10]

clip_image002[12]

clip_image002[14]

clip_image002[18]

They did all kinds of fun experiments, but I think the biggest hit was the Mentos/Diet Coke experiment…the kids had a BLAST!  Yes, that pun was fully intended.  Can’t pass up a good pun.  I just love how this party turned out, don’t you?

Since my sis-in-law and her family live in Texas and we live in Michigan, it was nice to be able to join in the fun a tiny bit from miles and miles away! Thanks, Shelley! Can’t wait to see you on Lake Michigan…not soon enough!!

Make sure to check out my Mad Scientist Party pinboard for more awesome ideas.  There were just too many to list here!

6 comments:

  1. I lOVE this party theme. You should be a party planner. I wish I was still in the classroom just so I could make those lab coats for the students. I loved teaching science. The kids really enjoy the process of discovery.
    Thanks for sharing these creative party ideas at Show & Tell!

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is AWESOME! My husband is a scientist, and so I was I in my former life, and it always cracks me up to see this theme. It looks so fun and you had such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!! I'm glad you could help- even from far away- and it looks like it was a succees. That cake is too cute and I like the idea of the lab coast- seems simple enough. Always good.

    And who doesn't love diet coke and mentos? we did that in high school even!! :)

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...