Friday, March 30, 2012

Guest Post: The Perfect Hard Boiled Egg

Hey guys! Today I have my very first guest post and it’s from my big sis Jackie over at Prep Like a Chef.  With Easter around the corner, I asked her if she would share her secret behind the perfect hard boiled egg.  Sooo, here you go….

jackie

Hi everyone!  This is my first time being a guest poster!  I’m glad to be here and excited to share my perfect hard boiled egg tip with you!

Here’s what I do:

  • Combine 1 TB salt, 1/4 cup vinegar and 6 cups water in a pot; bring to a boil.
  • Using a spoon (it's safer that way) add eggs one at a time.
  • Reduce heat and simmer 14 minutes.
  • Remove eggs from hot water and place into ice water.
  • Cool completely; about 15 minutes.
  • Peel shells from eggs; these eggs even peel nicely. I don't know the science behind why this works; I just know it does!

Eggs keep under refrigeration for 1 week.

That’s it!  Make sure and stop by Prep Like a Chef Sunday for my favorite Easter brunch menu, Wednesday to see how to color eggs naturally and Friday for Easter leftover meal ideas!

Have a great day and take it one "prep" at  time!
Chef Jackie

Thanks, Jackie!  I’ve never used salt and vinegar to hard boil eggs before.  I’ll be giving it a try this time because I’m hoping for a better peeling egg!  It drives me nuts when I peel an egg and half the egg comes with it!

I also recently read, the fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel.  And as I was sorting through old magazines, I found a great tip in an issue of Better Homes & Gardens to figure out if your eggs are fresh.

Fresh Egg Test

BHG said to put them in a bowl of cold water.

  • Really fresh eggs: drop to the bottom of the bowl and lie on their sides.
  • Somewhat fresh eggs: stand on end and bob about in the water.
  • Old eggs:  float and should be pitched.

Have an Egg-cellent Weekend!

Kim

PS – don’t forget Sunday is April Fool’s Day.  Are you going to play any tricks on your friends and family?  I started to make a pinboard for it, but only got as far as three pins.Smile  Feel free to peek at my whole three pins.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted this! I am getting ready to boil my eggs for coloring and I always waaay overcook them. I am going try this method this year.. Thanks Kim!! Hi Jackie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How timely your post is...I just had an awful time peeling my eggs I did the other day...clearly, I'm boiling them way too long!Can't wait to give this method a try. You would think having chickens would make me an expert at this...NOT!

    Going over to your Pin board now...need ideas for April fool's :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...